21 May 2007

when a house is not a home...

since i moved into my new place several weeks ago, i've been struggling to make it feel like mine. this is a great house with lots of little quirks that also needs plenty of work - except the work that i'd really like to do is more than cosmetic. and since i made the unexpected decision to rent again (after a painful house-selling and aborted-house-buying experience), i'm not exactly at liberty to make more-than-cosmetic changes...

i did get the landlord's okay to do some minor work to the garden and paint the interior of the house. and given my spring-induced need to garden, well - that's been completed. a couple new shrubs, a bunch of new perennials, and the house has a new street presence. unfortuntaley, this is colorado and i'll be long gone before anything has grown to any reasonable maturity. but at least i got to get my hands in the soil...

as for the painting... i'm having a bit more difficult timing motivating myself for that task. yet this house really needs some attention. ian's partially-orange, partially primer-white bedroom is screaming for some attention. the crap-brown living room needs some love. the neon-yellow dining room isn't exactly matching my decor. and the stark off-white kitchen leaves my appetite longing for something more, well, appetizing.

the thing is, i already have the paint. a nice golden rod color (light on the golden, heavy on the rod) has been chosen for the living room. a nice slate blue for the dining room, and a very-boy sky blue for ian's room. and a sage-green for the kitchen. all mixed, purchased, and sitting in the basement.

meanwhile, i just can't bring myself to tape off the trim, move the furniture, and paint. all my framed photos and artwork sit on the floor, waiting for a home on freshly-painted walls. i cringe every time i enter poor ian's room and see the patchwork paint job. and i stay away from cooking in the kitchen because it begs not to be cooked in...

one of these weekends - maybe even weeknights - i'm going to get my butt in gear and start taping. because i know that once i start i'll finish quickly and feel much more at home in this temporary house.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Let's paint Monday afternoon. You will have...let's see...1 brother, 2 sisters (J9 doesn't count), 2 brothers-in-law, 2 sisters-in-law, parents and at least 5 kids to help. Assign each a room and DONE! We'll have it finished by dinner. You can substitute the race tapering for taping! I'll send out the email.

Bolder said...

reading carrie's comment, reminds me of 'why' i was smart not to join your family for dinner...

i woulda got assigned a room!

(two posts, two days in a row... where will this all lead????)

Anonymous said...

i've been meaning to paint the trim around my apartment for a whole year now...it's this gross boy-gray color, and i want it to be more country-blue. i too have the permission, the paint, etc etc...but i just don't 'wanna'. but next fall? before school starts again? i'm there...

21stCenturyMom said...

I hate painting. I wish I had a sister like you so we could get it done in no time flat (I also have quite a few rooms to do).

Hope you enjoyed the 42 voicemail messages I left you during Wildflower!