10 June 2006

results...

this morning was my first official 5k race in something like 7 years. i didn't know what to expect results-wise going in - only hoped that i'd run a decent pace and see what it was like to actually run with other people. no high expectations - just a chance to run around the neighborhood and guage my improvement since i began running in february...

of course, 30 minutes before the race began, k called and let me know that she was running as well. i knew that she was going to be all about kicking my butt. she's a running veteran, an exercise junkie. i figured i may have a chance to beat her. but i knew that she very well might take me. i wasn't going to let her race dictate mine - don't need to be ultra-competitive with the ex-wife...

the first quarter mile or so was spent getting past much of the throng on the narrow path, and i felt like i had a good stride going - if not a little too fast. i had the garmin on, but only used it to let me know my pace at the end of each mile. about a half-mile in, k pulled up beside me with a "what's your pace" comment and ran on past - definitely happy to be overtaking me, i'm sure. not a big deal, i thought. let her go...

the garmin rang at the one mile mark and read 7:17. good pace for a first mile for me - certainly race-pace. the course was pretty hilly (well, hilly for an old airport in denver) and i tried my best to power up the hills. definitely a good idea to run the 5k today before next week's triathlon...

at about a mile and a half, i managed to move by k - she didn't really fall back as much as i had picked up the pace. when the garmin alerted me that the second mile was complete, i looked down to see that i had managed a 7:04 split. good time for me, yes, but it took a lot of juice out of me. the final mile was going to be a rough one...

i spent the last mile just trying to hold pace with the people in front of me. the garmin rang at mile three (7:27) - i was relieved to have kept it under 7:30. the last tenth (actually two-tenths) was a slightly higher pace finish. i was out of energy, but pleased with the race. my actual 5k time of 22:40 was better than i had hoped for. and my official race time of 23:13 was good for 18th place overall (out of 140 total) and 5th in my old-man age group (out of 25). i didn't imagine i could finish that high, so am very pleased with the run...

and k finished 10 seconds behind me. but first in her age group. must have been bittersweet...

6 comments:

Carrie said...

18th overall?! That is awesome Chris. It's a good thing you'll slow down to let your sister pass come August.

Hopefully K won't show up wearing a swim cap at the sprint next weekend.

Donald said...

OK, so your sister sent me...apparently she thinks highly of you.

Nice blog. That 5K is pretty great for someone who hasn't raced in years. Good luck with your sprint tri this weekend. You'll probably love it.

Bolder said...

your sister sent me over to give you tips, so here it is:

- don't pee in your wetsuit, it's not all it's cracked up to be.
- the Rez is currently 68F, so be prepared for coolish water
- the bike course is uphill the first half, and downhill the second with rollers... don't believe what they say in the course description
- the run course is uphill for the first half, and downhill for the second after the turnaround -- it's an out and back
- wear sunglasses if you are anywhere near me -- dark-tinted ones!

good luck on the race, and hopefully we will meet and shake a paw.

take care, Greg aka Bolder.

Pixie said...

Great job!

Pixie said...

Great race!

Coco said...

Great job! You and your sister both are very inspiring.