01 June 2007

on making a decision...

i have been accused at times of making decisions quickly. some may think too quickly. but what people don't understand is that into the decisions i make go weeks and months and years of internal contemplation.

seriously. my friends and family joke that i change cars like most change socks. and yes - i've gone through some vehicles in the last few years. but an auto loan is an auto loan - and the likelihood of me hanging on to a particular car for the term of a loan is, in a word, unlikely. so changing cars is not a life-changing decision. and recently it has been a checkbook-saving decision. but people don't get that.

i'll admit. i do tend to make decisions seemingly - what's the best word for this - abruptly. but that's because most of the things i have to decide upon these days are things that impact me and me alone. i'll buy a couch on what seems like a whim to some. but these decisions are hardly made on a whim. because i think about things for a long time before i even realize that i'm thinking about them. i weigh the big decisions - whether or not to spend the money, the time, or the effort - for a long time and almost completely internally. because at this point in my life, these are internal decisions...

and then when i've decided to do something, i do it quick. i know what i like, and it isn't hard for me to choose from the options. and to some, this may seem frivolous. but i am not frivolous. i am deliberate and contemplative. and i am responsible...

and in the spirit of frivolity and deliberateness and contemplation - i've signed up for the vancouver triathlon on september 3. yes, i made the decision quickly. but i've been needing a vacation for a long time. this one's for me...

2 comments:

momo said...

vancouver is beautiful! have you been there? i think this is a decision that, no matter how quickly (or not) it was made, can't go wrong. hopefully you'll have an awesome time, spend a little time working out and get explore a wonderful city.

sounds like a no brainer! :-)

we should all go!

Sascha said...

so, uh, I can't email you because you don't have an email anywhere and didn't leave me one at my blog either.

I have been told to check out the Deer Creek Canyon ride while in CO. Can I do that in an evening after work without dying, getting lost, freezing to death?